Do you want to take a trip to the spectacular trans-Himalayan journey in Nepal? If so, Upper Mustang Trek will be perfect. Journey to Mustang illustrates you into the old Buddhist kingdom of Nepal. And that kingdom is called Lo as well as the Last Forbidden Kingdom as the area was not allowed to enter till the 1990s.
Hiking to the Upper Part of Mustang like a Desert
The Mustang looks like Tibet on the basis of culturally and geographically. So many years ago, this place was taken as its own kingdom, where Lo Manthang is taken as its capital. As it adjoins Tibet, it’s one of the restricted trekking regions where trekkers must have special restricted areas permit.
The Government of Nepal takes action on expensive trekking permits which help to minimize tourist volume in this area. As it is a rain shadow area of Nepal, monsoon season is also the best time to explore Mustang. Known as the Desert of Nepal where you’ll see cliff-faced landscapes and rare volumes of trees.
Trekking to Upper Mustang offers to the voyagers an amazing hiking experience in the desert of Nepal. This trip begins with Pokhara to Jomsom Flight. Trekking in the Mustang region of Nepal leads trekkers to the uniqueness of treeless landscape, rocky trekking trails and views of Nilgiri, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and so more other Himalayas.
Till 1992, the Mustang was isolated from the rest of the world and it was forbidden for foreign visitors to enter this hidden valley. But Nowadays foreigners are welcome to Upper Mustang. Tourists can enter with restricted areas permit which costs US$ 500 (to be arranged through a trekking agency and valid for 10 days, each additional day costs US$ 50).
Nowadays you can get accommodation in guest houses along the whole trek route. The Kagbeni, gateway to Upper Mustang, the journey moves upwards to the bare landscape in the rain shadow of the Dhaulagiri massif to Lo-Manthang.
This moderate, less demanded trail provides splendid mountain scenery and knowledge of Buddhist religion.
Best time to visit Upper Mustang
We can say March to November is the best time to take a journey up to Upper Mustang. We already mention that trekking is also best for the rainy season but in winter most of the hotel operators leave the capital to avoid the cold and snow. So winter is unfavorable to visit Mustang Areas.
How to Accessing Upper Mustang
As the Jomsom is the beginning point for almost all trekking routes towards the Upper Mustang region, We’ll take very short scenic flight Pokhara to Jomsom which will be 25 minutes duration. We can also approach Jomsom by drive but it’s long in terms of driving hours. And to back Pokhara, we’ll take a flight.
Why trek to Upper Mustang in Nepal?
Here are some reasons to visit Mustang, Nepal.
- Experience the Tibetan influenced Buddhism of Upper Mustang.
- Panoramic views of Nilgiri, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, and other peaks.
- Explore the ancient Kingdom of Lo Manthang.
- Rainshadow area( Deserts) of Nepal
- Moderate Adventure trek
- Taste the Tibetan religion, culture and traditions without Tibet tour
|No. of people||Price P.P|
|3 -4||US$ 1800|
|10 +||US$ 1710|
16 Days Upper Mustang Itinerary
|Day 1||Arrival in Kathmandu||1,300 meters(4,428 feet)||NA|
|Day 2||Explore Kathmandu and Trek Preparation||1300 meter||NA|
|Day 3||Drive to Pokhara||827 meter (2,713 feet)||8 hour||Day 4||Fly to Jomsom and Trek to Kagbeni||2,810 meter(9,216 feet)||8 hour|
|Day 5||Kagbeni to Chele||3,050 meter(10,004 feet)||6 hour|
|Day 6||Trek to Gheling||3,570 meter (11,674 feet)||7-8 hour|
|Day 7||Geling to Tsarang||3,620 meter (11,873 feet)||7 hour|
|Day 8||Trek to Lo Manthang||3840 meter(12,598 feet)||3-4 hour|
|Day 9||Explore Lo Manthang( Main parts of Upper Mustang)||3,840 meter||7 hour|
|Day 10||Trek to Dhakmar||3,810 meter (12,500 feet)||6 – 7 hour|
|Day 11||Dhakmar to Ghiling||3,806 meter ( 12, 487 feet)||6 hour|
|Day 12||Ghiling to Chhuksang||3,050 meter (10,007 feet)||5-6 hour|
|Day 13||Trek to Jomsom||2,743 meter (8,999 feet)||7 hour|
|Day 14||Jomsom to Pokhara||827 meter (2,713 ft)||25 minute|
|Day 15||Kathmandu||1300m||6-7 hour|
|Day 16||Final Departure||NA||NA|
How much does Upper Mustang Trek COST?
It cost USD 1,825 per person to take the Mustang trip according to the Base Camp Hike Plan. On our plan, if you wish to fly Kathmandu -Pokhara- Kathmandu by plane, you should pay flight fare whereas we’ll deduct the driving cost on the same plan. If you’re in a group( i.e. more than 3 persons), we’ll apply a group discount trip offer to Mustang.
- Kathmandu International airport transfer
- 2 Nights twin sharing Tourist standard hotel accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast plan
- Flights (Kathmandu – Tumlingtar – Kathmandu) as round trip fares with required airport tax
- Arrival and Departure transfers (for both international and domestic flights)
- Luxury hotel accommodation (in Kathmandu and Pokhara) on a twin sharing basis with breakfast
- Kathmandu valley city tour(Half Day) with a professional tour guide, transportation, and entrance fees
- Fully escorted trek with English speaking license holder local Guide
- Required number of porters ( 2 guest luggage is equal to 1 porter)
- Pokhara-Jomsom-Pokhara flights and airport taxes
- Meals: (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner) each day while on trekking
- Available local lodge basis accommodation while on trekking days
- Annapurna Conservation Area permit
- Upper Mustang Restricted areas permits (Special Permit) cost USD 500(each guest for only 10 days).
- Pokhara city tour (World Peace Stupa, Devi’s fall, and Gupteswor Mahadev cave) with a guide, entree fee, and transportation
- Sleeping Bag
- First Aid Kit with Oxygen Pulse
- Trekking equipment and other facilities to Nepali trekking staff
- Insurances for all Nepali trekking staff
- First-aid Kit Bag for the trip
- All land transfer as per given itinerary
- Nepal Government Tax, VAT and as well as Company service charge
- Nepal entry visa fee and international airfare
- Lunch and Dinner during my staying in Kathmandu city
- Battery charges, laundry service, phone calls, WIFI, and hot shower during the trekking
- Personal trekking equipment and Clothing
- Any types of drinks and deserts food
- Your travel insurance (it is mandatory in case of emergency)
- Any donation and monument entrance fees
- Tips for the crew (Note: TIPS is not compulsory but expected)
- Any other things which are not mentioned on Include section
You can take a flight Kathmandu to Pokhara and Pokhara to Jomsom and start a trek. But you can also reach the trekking starting point by drive.
The maximum that you’ll get is 3,840m so this is moderate difficult trekking.
March to November is considered as the best time to visit Mustang because at that time Mustang weather will be perfect to visit.
To preserve nature from mass tourist flow.
Yes, almost all teahouses in Mustang have WIFI and most of the places you’ll have Mobile Network.
Package Name: Upper Mustang
You can send an inquiry via the form below.