The Upper Dolpo Trek trial is pristine area of Nepal which is near the Tibetan border. It is a region of mystical beauty and its remoteness adds to the sense of adventure among its visitors. We also cross a few high Himalayan passes and enjoy the vast and tranquil beauty of Phoksundo Lake.
The trekking also takes us across the centuries-old Trans Himalayan Trade route. The trek indeed takes us into the “wild west” of Nepal, attractive for those with an explorer’s spirit. As it is close to Tibet, culture, and traditions are likely to Tibet.
To get a Dolpo permit, at least 2 participants are required. The special permit charged USD 500 for fixed 10 days and for more than 10 days 50 USD each day. The group should at least have two people to get a trekking permit for this trek. Individual trekkers will not get a permit for this region from the trekking permit immigration. The Area of the park spreads 3,500 square kilometers of Land.
Though Dolpo is the most beautiful, it is the least developed district of Nepal. That’s why it is considered a remote part of Nepal. Travelers can really enjoy nature here as it is a restricted and remote area. Only a few tourists can explore here as it is more expensive to visit than other popular trekking routes of Nepal.
Upper Dolpo Trek
Some of the passes of Dolpo are difficult but it’s you can do it. The trekking to Upper Dolpo passes through beautiful valleys, ancient local settlements, gigantic mountains, green forest, and crystal river. The mesmerizing Shey Phoksundo lake is the main highlight of the Upper Dolpo journey where travelers can feel that they are in the heaven of beautiful nature. According to a survey by the Department of Hydrology and Meteorology of Nepal, the Phoksundo Lake is the deepest lake of Nepal which is 145m deep. So it’s interesting. Isn’t it?
The Upper Dolpo trek starts from Jhupal and goes through the lush forest to the upward section where Shey Phoksundo lake is located. After the exploration of lakes, we will do Nagdala La (52509 M ) to reach Shey Gompa ( 4343 m). The Shey Gompa hosts an ancient monastery. Afterward, we will do furthermore Himalayan Passes such as Sela La (5095 m) and Jayanta La (5220 m) to reach the settlement in lower Dolpo.
Why Upper Dolpo Journey?
Ancient Gompas, diversified landscape, mesmerizing Shey Phoksundo lake, isolated villages of Ringmo, and the centuries-old monasteries are highlighted by Dolpo. Such as centuries-old Buddhist monasteries (which is known as Shey Gompa) wildlife, pristine lake, soaring peaks, and people’s lifestyle of the least developed region are also another attraction of the trek. Here is a holy mountain called “Crystal Mountain” that is why each year hundreds of pilgrims and travelers visit the upper Dolpo region and make a circuit of the mountain. The people of this region mostly speak Tibetan languages. Rarely some people can understand the Nepali language.
The Upper Dolpo Trek starts with a scenic flight from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj which will be approx 45 minutes. Likewise next day morning, Nepalgunj to Jhupal.
Summer and Monsoon season is the best time to explore Dolpo. Keep in mind, because of the heavy snowfall, winter is impossible to explore.
Check out our itinerary for Upper Dolpo Trekking but if you want to customize it leave a message us.
Permits for Upper Dolpo are expensive and strictly enforced. You also need to purchase a permit for Lower Dolpo, which you pass through on your way to Upper Dolpo. On top of that, only 250 foreigners are permitted to enter Upper Dolpo each year.
Lower Dolpo permit: $10 USD per week
Upper Dolpo permit: $50 USD per day (10-day minimum)
There is also a 1000 Rs entry fee to the Shey-Phoksundo National Park. As it’s mandatory to trek with a guide on an organized tour in Upper Dolpo, your tour operator will arrange all permits, and these fees are generally included in the total cost of your trip.
Can we combine another trek with Dolpo?
Juphal to Lake Phoksundo
If you don’t have time to afford the whole Upper Dolpo, don’t be sad. Here is another option that you can do Jhupal – Phoksundo Lake- Jufal within8 days. Whereas if you want to explore more areas you can combine Dolpo to Mustang and/or the Annapurna region.
Upper Dolpo to Jomsom trek
The Upper Dolpo to Jomsom trek is another less popular variation.
On the way to Upper Dolpo Hike[/caption]
Why you love Upper Dolpo Trek?
- Sunrise and Sunset at Annapurna and Dhaulagiri Range.
- Peace and Less discovered
- Chance to see snow leopards in the Shey Phoksundo National Park which is one of the highest animal concentration parks in the world
- Visit Shey Gompa, an 800-year-old monastery at the base of Crystal Mountain, immortalized in Peter Matthiessen’s “The Snow Leopard”
- Enjoy over the turquoise waters of Lake Phoksundo
- Witness the spring hunt for yarsagumba —a bizarre caterpillar fungus highly sought after for its medicinal qualities
- The picturesque landscape of the Upper Himalayas
- Pristine Buddhist culture and lifestyle.
- Location of the Oscar-nominated movie “Caravan” and inspiration for the book “The Himalayan Leopard”
- The Shey Phoksundo lake “Nepal deepest lake”
- Cross through Cang Mara La(5115 m), Nagdala La (5353 m ) Tyonta (5220m )
- It is an opportunity to experience the Nepali wilderness and live in such scarcity
Total Trip Price (USD)3680 per person
See Group Discount
|No. of people||Price P.P|
|2 -4||US$ 3650|
|10 +||US$ 3530|
Upper Dolpo Trekking Itinerary
|Days||Itinerary||Altitude in ft||Hour|
|Day 1||Arrival in Kathmandu||1360m||7 to 8 hr|
|Day 2||Explore Kathmandu||1360m||8 hr|
|Day 3||Flight to Nepalgunj||150m||4 hr|
|Day 4||Flight to Jufal and Trek to Dunaie||2,140m||3 hr|
|Day 5||Dunai to Ankhe||2,660 m||6 hr|
|Day 6||Ankhe to Renje||3,104m||6-7 hr|
|Day 7||Renje to Phoksundo Lake)||3600m||6-7 hr|
|Day 8||Explore Phoksundo Lake||3,600m||NA|
|Day 9||Phoksundo Lake to Phoksundo Khola||3,508m||5-6 hour|
|Day 10||Phoksundo Khola to Phoksundo Bhanjyang||4,440m||5-6 hr|
|Day 11||Cross the Kang La pass and trek to Shey Gompa||4310m||5-6 hr|
|Day 12||Shey Gompa ( Rest day)||4,310m||NA|
|Day 13||Shey Gompa to Namduna Gaun:||4,800m||7 hr|
|Day 14||Namduna Gaun to Saldang||3,620m||5 hr|
|Day 15||Saldang to Yangzer Gompa||4,590m||4 hr|
|Day 16||Yangtze Gompa to Sibu||4,560m||6-7 hr|
|Day 17||Sibu to Jeng la Phedi||4,900m||6 hr|
|Day 18||Jeng La Phedi to Tokyu Gaon||4,240m||3 hr|
|Day 19||Tokyu to Dho Tarap||4,090m||5 hr|
|Day 20||Rest Day at Dho Tarap||4,090||NA|
|Day 21||Dho Tarap to Tarap Khola(Kamakharka)||3,800m||6 hr|
|Day 22||Tarap Khola to Khanigaon||2,550 m||5-6 hr|
|Day 23||Khani Gaon to Tarakot||2,282 m||5 hr|
|Day 24||Dunai||2,140m||6-7 hr|
|Day 25||Dunai to Jufal||2,502 m||3 hr|
|Day 26||Fly to Kathmandu via Nepalgunj||1,360m||3 hr|
|Day 27||Depart Kathmandu||NA||3 hr|
How much does cost UPPER DOLPO TREK?
According to Base Camp Hike Plan, The Upper Dolpo trek cost is USD 3,680 per person on double occupancy basis. For the Group trek to Dolpo, we’ve special discounts.
- Airport pick up and Drop off
- All domestic airfare (Kathmandu-Nepalgunj-Juphal-Nepalgunj-Kathmandu) including airport tax
- Camping accommodation during the trekking days
- Dolpo permits
- All the essentials camping and kitchen equipment for Camping Dolpo Trekking
- High category camping equipment (Sleeping tent/ Dining tent / Kitchen tent / Toilet tent/mattress and Kitchen utensils )
- All the trekking crews will be insured as Nepal government regulation.
- Full board meals (B.L.D.) during the trekking period with coffee and tea.
- Required supporting kitchen crew and donkeys to carry foods and luggage along the trek
- Upper Dolpo and Lower Dolpo Special Trekking Permit
- Shey Phoksundo National Park entrance permits and local taxes
- Food / Salary/accommodation and medical or accidental insurance of all the trek staff.
- Farewell dinner party after the trip completion in Kathmandu.
- All the required airport and hotel transfer.
- One full Day World Heritage Sites tour with local Tourist Guide
- Nepal Government Tax, VAT, and as well as Company service charge.
- Duffel bag for client backpack which is rain protection
- First aid medical kit bag.
- 3-star category hotel in Kathmandu and Nepalgunj with B/B plan
- Sleeping bag, Trekking Map (sleeping bag are to be returned after trip completion)
- All the government taxes and company service charge
- Nepal visa fees and International airfare
- Lunch and Dinner during the staying in Kathmandu and Nepalgunj
- Battery charges, Laundry service, phone calls, WIFI and hot shower during the trekking
- Alcoholic beverages, bottled mineral water, soft drinks and snack foods
- Your Travel Insurance
- Riding horse along the trek
- Extra cost incases of natural disaster
- Personal trekking equipment and Clothing.
- Any types of Alcoholic drinks
- Extra night hotel, if an extended night in Nepalgunj due to bad weather and earlier back to Kathmandu
- Tips to trekking crews ( it’s not compulsory but expected).
- Any other things which not mentioned on including
How to Upper Dolpo from Kathmandu?
Dolpo lies in Western Nepal, making access more difficult than other parts of Nepal. It means at First, we’ll take Kathmandu to Nepalgunj flight and next day morning also flight( Nepalgunj to Jhupal by plane).
For the return Jhupual to Nepalgunj and Nepalgunj to Kathmandu. Since the weather of Jhupal is not stable, planes can’t make a single flight Kathmandu to Jhupal. But you can fly Pokhara to Nepalgunj.
For the charter flight to Jufal either from Kathmandu or Pokhara, a helicopter tour is best. Though it is expensive, it’s best for luxury travelers.
By Road transfer
Nepalgunj is also accessible by road transfer but keep in mind that it is a long and hard journey. Roads to Jhupal are improving day by day.
How long is Upper Dolpo Journey?
It is a 23 days trek.
When is the best time to Explore Dolpo?
How difficult is the Upper Dolpo trek?
What types of accommodation and meals available?
Almost all treks in the Upper Dolpo Region are fully-catered camping treks. Some basic teahouse accommodation is available in some villages but that’s not enough.
What brings for Upper Dolpo?
Package Name: Upper Dolpo Trek
You can send an inquiry via the form below.