Rara Lake Trek, it is the largest Lake of Nepal which is expanded to 10.8 sq km. It is located at an altitude of 2,990 meters from sea level.
Rara Lake lies in Rara National Park. This national park is situated at an altitude from 1,800m to 4,048m. Inside this national park Blue pine, black juniper, oak, Himalayan spruce, Himalayan cypress, and many other plants.
Rara Lake stands very few tourists with very high natural beauty. This short journey is an opportunity for travelers who want to explore remote trails of western Nepal. Rara lake with combing Phoksundo Lake is one of the best trips in Nepal.
If you have an extra 5 to 6 days, you can combine Rara with Phoksundo Lake.
From Jumla, you will set forth on a journey that promises greater solitude and a chance to be in the presence of the fantastic Rara Lake. It is the biggest lake in Nepal and proudly addressed by the Nepalese as the Queen of Lakes.
Rara Lake Trip begins with a scenic flight to Nepalgunj and the next day a short flight Nepalgunj to Jumla.
Trek to Rara Lake goes through the Rara National Park which is considered one of the best national parks in the world. The Rara national park is home to Musk deer, leopard, Himalayan Black Bear, Himalayan goral, and other wild animals. On the Rara Lake journey, we’ll not only see snow-capped mountains but we see more forests, and enchanting lakes and remote village lifestyles, culture, and traditions. So Journey to Rara is best trip in Dolpo Region.
What is the highlight of Rara Lake Hike?
- Exploring isolated and mysterious beauties of western Nepal
- Taste the real Tibetan life
- Outstanding landscapes and mountain views during the trek.
- Visit the hidden kingdom of Nepal.
- Visit surround the largest lake(approx 13 KM) in Nepal.
- Taste the unspoilded trekking routes of Nepal.
See Group Discount
|No. of people||Price P.P|
|2 -4||US$ 1780|
|10 +||US$ 1640|
14 Days Rara Lake Itinerary
|Days||Itinerary||Altitude in ft||Hour|
|Day 1||Flight to Nepalgunj from Kathmandu||150m||1 hr|
|Day 2||Flight to Jufal (2475 m) and trek to Tripurakot||2,100m||7 hr|
|Day 3||Khaliban||3,200m||5-6 hr|
|Day 4||Khaliban to Kaigaon via Blangra Lagna pass (3760 m)||2,615 m||7-8 hr|
|Day 5||Kaigaon to Chaurikot||3,050m m||6-7 hr|
|Day 6||Chaurikot to Chhotra via Maure Lagna Pass (3894 m)||3,380m||6 hr|
|Day 7||Gothichaur||2,660m||5 hr|
|Day 8||Gothichaur to Jumla Bazar||2,540m||7 hr|
|Day 9||Jumla Bazar to Tharmare via Danphe Lagna Pass (3692 m)||3,400m||5 hr|
|Day 10||Bhulbhule||3,182m||7-8 hr|
|Day 11||Bhulbhule to Jhyarigaon via Ghurchi Lagna pass (3480 m)||2,636m||6-7 hr|
|Day 12||Jhyarigaon to Rara Lake||2,990m||4-5 hr|
|Day 13||Rara Lake to Talcha Airport||2,200m||3 hr|
|Day 14||Talcha – Nepalgunj – Kathmandu||1,300m||3 hr|
How much does it cost to go on the Rara Lake trek?
The starting price for the trek to the lake is USD 1300 USD per person. But the cost can arise if you want comfort on Rara Lake trek whereas cost can decrease if you want budget trek to Rara.
- Airport pickup and drop off
- 2 night 3 star Kathmandu hotel in Kathmandu with Breakfast. ( Hotel Moonlight)
- 2-night accommodation in Nepalgunj with Breakfast
- Guided sightseeing tours in Kathmandu with a private tour guide, entry fees, and vehicle transportation
- Meals on full board: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner each day during the trek.
- Domestic Airfare: Kathmandu – Nepalgunj – Talcha- Nepalgunj – Kathmandu, and airport departure taxes.
- Experienced License holder friendly local guide and 2 guests = 1 Porter.
- Rara national park entrance permits and TIMS permits
Kathmandu and Nepalgunj domestic airport transfer by Cab.
- Salary, Insurance, Food and accommodation, taxes, and VAT of Nepali trekking staffs.
- Nepal Government Tax, VAT, and as well as office service charge.
- Food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment, and taxes of Guide and Porters
- Twin sharing accommodation during the trek
- First aid medical kit bag
- All necessary permits for trek
- All government and local taxes and office service charges
- Nepal entry visa fee cost and International airfare.
- Lunch and Dinner during the staying in Kathmandu and Nepalgunj
Battery charges, Laundry, Phone calls, WIFI, and hot shower during the trekking.
- Personal trekking gear and Clothing.
- Personal nature expenses
- Meals not specified in the ‘Meal Inclusions’ in the itinerary
- Any type of drinks and bar bills.
- Your travel insurance (it is mandatory in case of emergency).
- Any donation and monuments entrance fees.
- Tips for the crew (Note: TIPS is not compulsory but expected)
- Any other things which are not mentioned on INCLUDES
For those planning to do the Rara Lake short trekking in Nepal, here we figured out frequently asked questions from visitors.
Rara Lake is an easy trek that is also suitable for trekking in Nepal for beginners and family trips too.
It is located at 2990m height.
September and October and April to May.
It is a 15 days trek.
The another name of Rara Lake is “Mahendra Taal”, this exotic lake lies in Mugu,Nepal.
It lies in Rara Village Development Committee, Mugu District and falls under the Rara National Park.
It is an oval-shaped lake considered as the largest lake in Nepal.
The easiest way to expore to Rara lake is to take a domestic flight from Kathmandu to Nepalganj and next another domestic flight from Nepalganj to Talcha airport. From Talcha airport, it takes approx 3 hours reach Rara Lake.
You can either take Kathmandu-Nepalgunj-Jumla flight or you can go by bus to reach the trekking beginning spot.
Package Name: Rara Lake
You can send an inquiry via the form below.