Most of the trekkers prefer to do Everest Base Camp and Annapurna Base Camp but only a few tourists make Makalu Base Camp Trek. Among the 14 highest peaks of the world, the Makalu is the 5th tallest peak whose height is 8845m and the shape of this mountain is a four-sided pyramid. This is a giant mountain and quite interesting. Isn’t it?
The mount Makalu is situated in the Mahalangur Himalayas ranges on the border between Nepal and Tibet and 19 km southeast of Mount Everest. Though it is one of the eight-thousanders, Makalu is an isolated peak. Being Makalu Base Camp trek is a remote route, it rewards visitors to taste of unspoiled trekking trails, interesting cultures, forests of Rhododendrons, wildlife, and others above 8,000 meters mountain views.
For experienced trekkers who desire to take a challenging trip in Nepal’s Himalayas, trek to Makalu is the best choice.
What view can we expect from Makalu Base Camp?
Upon reaching Makalu Base Camp (4870m), the trekkers will relish the alluring view of Makalu (8481m), Everest (8848m), Kanchenjunga (8586m), Lhotse (8516m), Baruntse (7129m), Chamlang (7319m), and others snow-capped the Himalayas.
As the trek to Makalu region lies in Makalu Barun National Park, trekkers can see varieties of floras and faunas. The Makalu Barun National Park is the 8th largest national park of Nepal that covers 2,330 sq.km in area. This national park offers tropical forests, snow-capped peaks, and rare animals such as Red Panda.
What are the highlights of Makalu Base Camp Hike?
- One of the best trek to grab panorama of above 8 thousand peak
- Taste the sight of Eastern Nepal which is known as remote parts of Nepal
- It offers a glimpse of Mount Everest from a different angle than any trip to Everest Region
- Trek to Makalu offers green terraced farmland to glaciers and cascading waterfalls
- Experience the Rai and Sherpa culture
- Makalu is the home of Red Panda and other rare wild animals
See Group Discount
|No. of people||Price P.P|
|2 -4||US$ 2440|
|10 +||US$ 2180|
21 Days Makalu Base Camp Itinerary
|Days||Itinerary||Altitude in ft||Hour|
|Day 1||Kathmandu To Tumlingtar (50 minutes Flight) and drive to Chichila||1,980m||4 hr|
|Day 2||Trekking To Num||1,560m/5119ft||6-7 hour|
|Day 3||Num to Seduwa||1,500m/4922 ft||6 -7 hour|
|Day 4||Tashigaon||2,100m/6890ft||5 hour|
|Day 5||Tashigaon to Khongma Danda||3,500m/11,483 ft||7 hour|
|Day 6||Acclimatization day in Khongma Danda||3,500m/11,483 ft||NA|
|Day 7||Trek to Dobate via Shipton La||4,229 m/13,874 ft||6-7 hour|
|Day 8||Trek to Yangle Kharka||3,557m/11,670 ft||7-8 hour|
|Day 9||Trek to Langmale Kharka||4,410m/14,468ft||6 hour|
|Day 10||Trekking to Makalu Base Camp||4,870m/15,978ft||5-6 hr|
|Day 11||Exploration day at Makalu Base Camp||4,870m/15,978ft||NA|
|Day 12||Trek to Yangle Kharka||3,557m/11,670 ft||6-7 hour|
|Day 13||Yangri Kharka to Dobate||4,229 m/13,874 ft||7 hr|
|Day 14||Trek to Khongma Danda||,500m/11,483 ft||6 hour|
|Day 15||Trekking to Tashigaon||2,100m/6890ft||4-5 minute|
|Day 16||Trek to Seduwa||1,500m/4922 ft||5 hour|
|Day 17||Seduwa to Num||1,560m/5119ft||5-6 hour|
|Day 18||Drive to Tumlingtar||285m/935 ft||5 hour|
|Day 19||Drive to Tumlingtar||518m/1,700 ft||5 hour|
|Day 20||Drive to Tumlingtar||518m/1,700 ft||5 hour|
|Day 21||Fly to Kathmandu||1,300m/4,264ft||50 minutes|
How much does MAKALU BASE CAMP TREK COST?
It cost USD 2,440 on a double occupancy basis for Makalu Base Camp Hike. This price is for a single guest. If you’re in a group(more than 3 people), we can give you a discount. Likewise, if you want to have more luxury Makalu Trek, we can also offer you those types of trek adding some charges.
- Kathmandu International airport transfer
- 2 Nights twin sharing Tourist standard hotel accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast plan
- Flights (Kathmandu – Tumlingtar – Kathmandu) as round trip fares with required airport tax
- All land transfer as per given itinerary
- TIMS permits
- Makalu Controlled region permits of Nepal
- Makalu Barun National Park entrance fees
- Available local lodge basis accommodation while on trekking days
- Meals: (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner) each day while on trekking
- Fully escorted trek with English speaking license holder local Guide
- Required number of porters ( 2 guest luggage is equal to 1 porter)
- Trekking equipment and other facilities to Nepali trekking staff
- Insurances for all Nepali trekking staff
- First-aid Kit Bag for the trip
- Nepal Government Tax, VAT and as well as Company service charge
- Nepal entry visa fee and international airfare
- Lunch and Dinner during my staying in Kathmandu city
- Battery charges, laundry service, phone calls, WIFI, and hot shower during the trekking
- Personal trekking equipment and Clothing
- Any types of drinks
- Your travel insurance (it is mandatory in case of emergency)
- Any donation and monument entrance fees
- Tips for the crew (Note: TIPS is not compulsory but expected)
- Any other things which are not mentioned on Include section
There is a daily flight from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar. It takes 1 hour’s time to reach Tumlingtar from Kathmandu by using domestic flights. Upon landing Tumlingtar, after some hours drive, we will be in Makalu trekking starting spot. In terms of back to Kathmandu, we’ll take Tumlingtar to Kathmandu flight which is also included in our plan.
This is a challenging trek. If you already did Everest Base Camp Trek or Annapurna Circuit, you can do Makalu Trekking.
The best time to hike Makalu Base Camp is September to half of December and March to May.
The elevation of Makalu is 8,485 metres/27,838 feet. Mount Makalu is ranked as the 5th tallest peak.
Yes, you should have. Makalu is an adventure trek that’s why you should have mountain experience.
No, possible. Only Nepali Cash is acceptable.
Yes, they have communication facilities but not everywhere on the route.
Package Name: Makalu Base Camp Trek
You can send an inquiry via the form below.